[WVFPD] WVFPD Issuing Tax Refund Starting July 16, 2014

kevin at wvfpd.org kevin at wvfpd.org
Tue Jul 1 07:22:07 CDT 2014

Dear WVFPD Property Owners,

It’s been nearly five years since Woodmen Valley Fire Protection
District (WVFPD) signed an agreement with the Colorado Springs Fire
Department (CSFD) so that the city provides fire and emergency medical
services for the District.

As a result of this agreement, and because of state regulations
restricting ownership of unused fire assets, WVFPD has sold all of its
vehicles and equipment and cancelled its building replacement plans.
This has left the District with $245,000 in excess of what it needs to
safely meet its obligations.  The WVFPD Board of Directors has
unanimously decided to return these excess funds to District taxpayers
in the form of a one-time tax refund.

Following standard accounting practices, each property owner will
receive a pro-rata distribution of the $245,000.  The amount will be
based on the assessed value of the property as a percentage of the
entire value of the combined District property values as calculated by
the El Paso County Assessor on June 23, 2014. The check will be
distributed to the current property owners, at their address of record,
as of June 23, 2014.  This refund process is being managed by the
District’s accounting firm, CliftonLarsonAllen (CLA).

WE EXPECT CHECKS TO BE MAILED ON JULY 16 -- PLEASE WATCH YOUR MAILBOX.

Please review the attached Q&A for several frequently asked questions.
If you have further questions, please contact WVFPD by emailing us at
refund2014 at wvfpd.org or by calling 719-522-9666.

Thank you for your continued support of WVFPD,

WVFPD Board of Directors

----------------------------
WVFPD 2014 REFUND Q&A
----------------------------

How much will my check be?
Your refund will be based on the assessed value of your property. There
are 315 properties in the District and each owner will receive a share
of the $245,000 refund based on their El Paso County assessed property
value as of June 23, 2014.

Why not a flat rate per property?
Higher-valued properties pay more taxes to the District than lower
valued ones. The refund is proportional to the taxes paid in.

I just sold my property.  Who gets the check?
The refund goes to the owner of record as of June 23, 2014. There is no
practical way for the district to monitor ownership on a day-to-day
basis.

I’ve been paying taxes to the District for 10 years. Shouldn’t I get a
larger refund than my neighbor who just built?
WVFPD, on advice from our accounting firm, CliftonLarsonAllen, has
selected the most common way to execute the refund. Only property value
is used to calculate the refund, not time paid in. While other methods
of refund might be possible, this one has the lowest administrative
expense and follows widely accepted accounting practice.

Why didn’t you just lower taxes instead?
It would take at least three years to return the money through tax rate
reductions -- refunding the money through checks is faster and easier.
In addition, our contract with the Colorado Springs Fire Department
(CSFD) restricts our ability to change tax rates as they receive funding
based on our total tax receipts.

I don’t have a house on my property. Will I get a check?
Yes, but because the refund amount is based on the relative assessed
value of your property, your check will be smaller than properties with
large houses.

Will this leave WVFPD enough money to operate?
Yes. WVFPD has retained sufficient funds to continue operations and
handle moderate emergency issues like building damage.

Will WVFPD keep its fire station?
Yes. The WVPFD BOD has decided to keep the fire station for now. We’d
like a little more time with the CSFD agreement before we give up the
last viable location for a District fire station.

What if CSFD or WVPFD wants to cancel the service agreement?
The WVPFD Board continually monitors the CSFD relationship. We are very
happy with their performance. Their response times have been less than
10 minutes and their yearly cost is less than operating our own
volunteer department. CSFD Chief Steve Dubay assures us that their
department is very happy with the relationship and sees no reason why
CSFD would choose to terminate the contract.

What if I have more questions?
If you have questions, please see our refund webpage at
www.wvfpd.org/refund2014.htm, email us at refund2014 at wvfpd.org, or call
us at 719-522-9666